Monday, October 13, 2008

2



Owning as usual^^


I have a major gripe with how the NFL handles it's primetime scheduled games on Sunday nights and Monday nights. I'll go into the Sunday night games first. Take last night's game as a prime example. At the end of spring/beginning of summer when the NFL schedule for the following season is realeased, "marquee" matchups are dotted throughout the schedule. These games are between teams considered to be pre season superbowl contenders. Usually these assumptions are rooted in how far the said team advanced in the playoffs last year or how many regular season wins they amassed. These games are usually pre selected to be played on Sunday/Monday night in primetime to showcase 2 "great" teams in the hopes of having the "best" game of the week. These days, it's a very rare thing to have the best games of the week be played either on Sunday OR Monday night. If you've ever watched 2 consecutive seasons of the NFL, mostly everything from one year is altered in some way the following year.

Take for example the Superbowl runner up "curse". 7 of the last 13 losers in the Superbowl didn't even make the playoffs the following year. In this day and age in the NFL it's very hard to keep winning year in and year out. Opposing teams catch up with your wrinkles and what you're doing. Injuries usually ALWAYS play a factor in the inevitable destruction of a team that's poised for a slip anyway. With this as the case, it really made what the New England Patriots of the past 5 or 6 years all the more impressive. So, New England went 16-0 last year, blew through the playoffs beating the Jags and the Chargers and lost in the super bowl to the New York Giants. This year, the Patriot's season ended 7 minutes into the first game. Brady went down with a season ending injury and this team became very ordinary. The bad thing is that:

IT DOESN'T CHANGE HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO WATCH THE BRADY-LESS PATRIOTS ON PRIME TIME TV THIS YEAR. IT DOESN'T CHANGE HOW MANY TIMES I HAVE TO SIT THROUGH WATCHING MATT CASSEL STRUGGLE TO MOVE AN OFFENSE THAT SET EVERY MAJOR OFFENSIVE RECORD LAST YEAR. Because the NFL refuses to schedule their Sunday/Monday night games on a WEEK TO WEEK basis, I have to watch newly fashioned LOSER teams play in actually terrible games. They really need to have their newly created "flex schedule" implemented in as soon as week 2 or 3. I mean, how many times do I have to watch the shitty Cleveland Browns this year because they beat BAD TEAMS last year to go 10-6? I don't want to see the Matt Cassel led Patriots every other week in primetime because of what Brady and Moss did last season. These games suck balls and the ratings of the primetime games won't ever be what they really should be until the NFL makes it a point to showcase the league's best teams in primetime games.

Anyway, I'm gonna go watch the G men cream the Cleveland Oranges and hope for a better game next week.

1 comment:

Evan said...

Become a sports writer, imo.